Is Tech Right for You?
Take Our 3-Minute Quiz to Find Out!
Learning tech skills is great (and something you should absolutely do right away!)…buuut once you learn them, it’s time to start applying and interviewing for tech jobs. If you’re wondering what to say when you’re sitting across from a real life hiring manager, we’ve got you covered! Tech job interviews are nothing to fear, especially when you’ve already practiced the most likely questions (and some curveballs as well).
We scoured the internet and pulled together a comprehensive list of 85+ job interview questions asked during tech job interviews (AND tips on how you should prepare for and answer them). You’ve got this!
Table of Contents
- Web Developer Job Interview Questions
- Web Designer Job Interview Questions
- User Experience Job Interview Questions
- Digital Marketing Job Interview Questions
- React JS Job Interview Questions
- Remote Job Interview Questions
Web Developer Job Interview Questions
If you want to break into tech by building websites and mobile applications as a web developer (a job with an average salary of almost $75k per year), then it’s time to brush up on web developer interview questions like:
- Describe a web development project you worked on from start to finish. What approach did you take, what challenges did you face, and how were you successful?
- Describe a project that went off the rails. Why did it go wrong and how did you react?
- Which programming languages are you proficient in? Are there any languages you’re not familiar with that you feel like you need to learn?
- Why are you drawn to web development?
- What kind of team environment do you thrive in?
Ready to learn the skills it takes to interview for web developer jobs? Check out our Skillcrush Front End Developer and Web Developer Courses. These online classes are designed to be completed in three months by spending just an hour a day on the materials.
Web Designer Job Interview Questions
Web designers create the layout, style, and (you guessed it) the design of websites and mobile applications. With an average yearly salary of $43k (and tons of freelance and remote work opportunities), web design is a great way to get paid while being creative. Web designer job interviews focus on questions like:
- What’s the project you’re most proud of?
- What’s your working style? / What’s your team working style?
- How do you communicate your designs with web developers? What about to clients?
- What do you do when a client just doesn’t like your designs?
- Where do you go for inspiration?
Ready to learn the skills it takes to interview for web designer jobs? Check out our Skillcrush Web Designer Course. This online class is designed to be completed in three months by spending just an hour a day on the materials.
User Experience Job Interview Questions
User Experience (UX) is a fast growing field dedicated to researching customer experiences with digital products (websites, mobile apps, software programs, etc.) and using that research to improve those products. If you like the idea of empathizing with customers, solving their problems, AND making an average yearly salary of $89k, UX is a perfect fit for you. Interviewers for UX jobs tend to ask questions like:
- Why do you feel UX is important? / What drew you to UX in the first place?
- What’s the first step you take when tasked with a UX project?
- Describe your ideal manager / Describe your ideal team dynamic.
- What is your design process like?
- Describe a project that didn’t go as planned. What went wrong
Ready to learn the skills it takes to interview for UX jobs? Check out our Skillcrush User Experience Course. This online class is designed to be completed in three months by spending just an hour a day on the materials.
Digital Marketing Job Interview Questions
The best online product in the world is worthless if people can’t find and engage with it, and that’s why all online companies need digital marketers. Digital marketers use web-savvy techniques to create marketing content and marketing strategies that connect online audiences with online products (at an average annual rate of $61k). Digital marketing job interviews include questions like:
- What makes digital marketing different from traditional marketing?
- What types of content make up an effective digital marketing campaign?
- What do you see as the difference between content marketing and content strategy? Can you give me some examples of each?
- How do you pick effective digital marketing KPIs and how do you track them?
- Describe the sales funnel and why it’s important to digital marketing.
Ready to learn the skills it takes to interview for digital marketing jobs? Check out our Skillcrush Digital Marketer Course. This online class is designed to be completed in three months by spending just an hour a day on the materials.
Is Tech Right for You?
Take Our 3-Minute Quiz to Find Out!
React JS Job Interview Questions
- What is React JS?
- What are React components? Why are components so important to React?
- What’s the main difference between props and state?
- Choose one component lifecycle method that you’ve used on a project. How did you use it?
- When would you use a class component over a functional component?
Remote Job Interview Questions
A huge perk of working in tech is that all tech jobs can be done remotely. If you have a computer, a reliable high speed internet connection, and an employer who’s OK with a remote schedule, you can work from anywhere in the world. Job interviews for remote positions have some unique twists and turns, so we’ve put together a list of remote-specific questions to get you prepped. Here are a few sample questions:
- Will you be able to stay motivated without an in-person supervisor?
- How will you schedule and prioritize your work?
- What will you do if there’s a time-sensitive problem with a project and the rest of your team is offline?
- Why do you want to work remotely?
- Why do you want to work remotely for our company?
Ready to learn the skills it takes to break into tech and land a remote job? Check out our Skillcrush Break into Tech Course Package. This is our most robust, personalized online training program, giving you access to 15 fun and interactive classes in technical skills and career development, regular 1-on-1 career counseling sessions to keep you informed and inspired, and the most supportive learning community you’ll find anywhere in the world.
Scott Morris is Skillcrush's staff writer and content producer. Like all the members of Skillcrush's team, he works remotely from his home in Napa, CA. He believes that content that's worth reading (and that your audience can find!) creates brands that people follow. He's experienced writing on topics including jobs and technology, digital marketing, career pivots, gender equity, parenting, and popular culture. Before starting his career as a writer and content marketer, I spent 10 years as a full-time parent to his daughters Veronica and Athena.